Apprenticeship Programs: On-The-Job Training for Barber, Cosmetologist and Permanent Makeup Artistry
Apprenticeship "Earn while you learn" - provides the opportunity to learn in a work environment, under the supervision of a State licensed trainer, and ultimately to qualify to apply for the California State Board of Barbering & Cosmetology license.
In addition to our Apprentice License programs, we also offer Permanent Makeup Apprenticeship. This is a great opportunity for those who want to gain experience and expertise in the field before going out on your own. Earn while you learn! This program is 18 months of on-the-job training with no license required, but needs lots of experience. You can work while gaining your experience and building clienteles.
The process requirements for Barber & Cosmetologist
- Complete 39 Hours Pre-Apprenticeship Training
- Apply for Apprentice License.
- Attend 250 Hours Related Subjects Instruction - Classroom hours to learn theory and stateboard practical.
- Work 32-40 hours a week in an approved establishment with a licensed professional to complete 3200 hours and complete the minimum operations requirement by the Board.
Qualifications for Apprenticeship
- Have a valid government issued photo ID, social security or ITIN.
- 16 yrs of age and have completed 10th grade.
- Be able to commit to work 32-40 hours a week.
- Receive at least minimum wage from your employer.
- Have a Trainer & Establishment location of employment.
It’s easy to do great work when you believe in what you do. That’s why we’re committed to helping more people like you, every day.
Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS)
The California Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS) consults with employers to develop a skilled workforce with viable career pathways to increase productivity and strengthen our economy.
Board of Barbering & Cosmetology
To ensure the health and safety of California consumers by promoting ethical standards and by enforcing the laws of the barbering and beauty industry.
San Joaquin County Office of Education
Local Educational Agency (LEA)
is a public board of education or other public authority legally constituted within a state for either administrative control or direction of, or to perform a service function for our school in the city.